Yes! Recreational Marijuana is legal in New Jersey – Who can purchase and sell it, what can you buy, where can you get and how much can you get?
New Jersey, like many states (but NOT Pennsylvania) has legalized the still Scheduled I drug Marijuana (Cannabis). The State’s Cannabis Regulatory Enforcement Assistance and Marketplace Modernization Act (CREAMM), permits the legal sale and use of cannabis and cannabis products for residents and non-residents. These are the top questions regarding the new law in New Jersey.
Who can purchase it?
Answer: Anyone in New Jersey can purchase Marijuana, this includes residents and visitors twenty-one (21) years of age or older.
- Where can a person purchase Marijuana?
Answer: A person can purchase at any New Jersey licensed cannabis dispensary. The State has a website, which lists all of the licensed dispensaries in the Garden State. Our criminal defense law firm services all of these counties, which include, Camden, Atlantic, Gloucester, Burlington and Cumberland County.
- What forms of Marijuana can a person purchase from a licensed dispensary?
Answer: Each dispensary is permitted to sell up to 1oz. of cannabis or the equivalent of 1 oz. of the drug. Here are the most common transactions:
- 1oz of dried flower
- 5 grams of concentrate or concentrated solution-these include resins, oils, or other forms of liquid
- 1000 milligrams of ingestible (ten 100 milligram packets)-the most common form are gummies
- The following combinations are often very common – half ounce of dried flower, plus 2.5 oz of concentrate of five (5) packages of gummies and a half ounce of dried flower.
- What are the legal categories of Marijuana?
- Dried flower
- Concentrated oils
- Vape formulas
- Soft chews
Dispensaries are not permitted to sell edibles like cookies or brownies, but obviously people can make their own with the product. New Jersey allows anyone over the age of twenty-one (21) years of age or older to be in possession of 1 oz. of cannabis and cannabis products.
- What is the cost of Marijuana in New Jersey?
Answer: Prices will vary by location and product. All transactions are subject to New Jersey’s sales tax (6.625%), plus social equity excise fee.
- Where can a person use Marijuana in New Jersey?
Answer: A person may smoke in private places; however, a landlord may prohibit cannabis on their property.
- Can I cross state lines with Marijuana purchased from New Jersey?
Answer: No. It is Illegal to transport cannabis across State lines.
- Can I give a friend Marijuana as a gift?
Answer: Yes. A person may gift up to 1 oz. of cannabis to another who is twenty-one (21) years of age or older. A person, however, may not sell cannabis to another or accept any payment in exchange for cannabis in New Jersey.
- Is it illegal to drive while high on cannabis?
Answer: It is illegal to drive while under the influence of Marijuana. The laws regarding driving while impaired or intoxicated apply when a person is under the influence of cannabis.
Please remember that Pennsylvania and New Jersey have very different laws regarding Marijuana. In the Pennsylvania, you can only obtain Medical Marijuana proscribed from a doctor. The Commonwealth does not permit recreational use of Marijuana.
Contact Our Marijuana Criminal Defense Lawyers in PA & NJ
Please click here to contact our Philadelphia criminal defense lawyers. We offer free case reviews and serve the following areas in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, Atlantic City, Camden, Cherry Hill, Chester, Conshohocken, Doylestown, Media, Norristown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Salem, Upper Darby, Upper Merion, Upper Providence, Vineland & Woodbury areas.